Thursday, June 05, 2014

I don't Get Out Often




I hit the floor running this morning.  I had places to go and things to do.  Before I  could do anything I had to go to our safety deposit box and get some documents.  When the teller unlocked one of the locks with his key I had to stand on my tip toes to reach the key hole to unlock the other lock.  I jokingly told him the locks are not meant us little folk.  He glared at me.  I decided he was  one sour grape and tried a little more of my wit on him during the next couple of minutes and each time got a stare or a glare.  I should have bear hugged him where he couldn't move and tickled under his arms, I bet that would get him giggling.

My next stop was the Georgia Driver License place to renew my license.  It  is due to expire on my birthday.  I had all the documents I needed, thanks to the giggling (Not!) teller.   I even brought one document  I didn't need, my military DD 214 to prove I was in the service..  What Me, a Vet?  It is important for me to get a Veteran's License for two reasons (1) they are free (2) they are proof you are a Veteran in case some barbecue joint is feeling patriotic and wants to let all Veterans eat free for a certain time period.  The only problem was the test.  The requirement is that if you are over 64 you must take an see eye test every time you renew.  The lady told me to look into the thing to the left of me and she told me to read the 3rd line.  I couldn't even read the first line, it was just 3 or 4 blurred lines.  Shit!  I took off my glasses and it was no better, probably worse, but then the 3rd time I looked at the 3rd line it was perfect - I read off all the letters.  I don't  know if she was pulling my chain or what.

My third visit was to the library.  A couple weeks ago I received a notice that my library card had expired.  The last time it expired my driver's license was not enough, because it was a PO Box.  I had to go back home and find a document with my mailing address and my physical address on it.  Property tax  notifications are always good for that.    This time I had no problem.  I had the nice lady giggling over my witty remarks.   I remember one of them was I told I just left renewing my driver's license  and had to take an eye test.  I told her they should do that too, like "How do you know you are issuing a library card to someone who can  read?"  I told her I brought all the documents in like my passport, drivers' license, property tax, check book with duel addresses and all because the last time I renewed the librarian demanded it.  She lady said, "I don't see, why, it is right here on your driving license."   I said, "Yeah, but it is just my PO Box, it doesn't prove I live in Cobb County.

She said, "Oh!"  And looked like she wasn't sure, since she has already sent it all through, if she should  demand  more proof of what.  She didn't.  She laughed and told me to have a nice day.

The next stop was the drive thru fast food window.  A Mercedes was ahead of me.  I don't know what they said to each other, but you can tell the driver and the lady behind the squawk box had words at each other.  And when he drove up to the window they had some more words.  I couldn't see the driver but I could tell by her body language and hateful looks they were not kidding around with each other.   Then he handed her a credit card and she looked like that was the last straw.  She had a scowl on her face as she left the window to ring it up the card.  Oh no!  I was going to pay by credit card too!  When my time came she handed my food and I gave her the credit card, she smiled, rung it up and gave me the receipt.  I said, "Thank you Ma'm."

And she smiled big and said, "You are WALCOM Sir!" in I don't know what accent.  A little honey can go a long way.

No comments: