Thursday, February 21, 2008

Undergound Atlanta Surfacing


Under Ground Atlanta postcard

One time when I read about a whole forgotten city underneath Atlanta after work one time Anna and I drove all around down the empty streets. It was creepy. Like a forgotten town, with advertisement signs and all.

Not long after that, the city leaders gave Underground Atlanta a face lift, to attract tourism. It was mostly one bar after another. A lot of Dixieland.

I remember Dante’s Down The Hatch, Wits End* (*Bring Money), The Burning of Atlanta Bar, a saloon type bar with the famous radio personality Piano Red, and endless bars.

One time while walking around down in Underground Atlanta a sign out in front of one bar said it was featuring singer Jay Hunter. I have a cousin named Jay Hunter, I went in, and sure ‘nuff, there was Jay with a guitar singing. He sung much like Gordan Lightfoot.

A few years ago, when my friend Bluto came to town we visited Underground Atlanta and it is nothing like it was when we went often. It seemed to be mostly gift shops. Before it had a New Orleans Dixieland style about it.

The beat goes on, or does it?

4 comments:

kenju said...

I was there in the 70's, when I went to Atlanta with mr. kenju on a business trip. I remember a bar with a wonderful old, old mahogany bar and a marble top, with columns and a mirror behind it. It was just a terrific old piece, and they toldme it was originally from an old pharmacy and soda fountain.

Eddie said...

Judy,
If it is the one I think it is/was, it was our favorite. It is where Piano Red performed.

Jean Campbell said...

My friends in the early nineteen sixties who were native Atlantans said they used to go to underground as teenagers when it was known as 'The Viadocks' (viaducts) and shoot rats.

Eddie said...

Jean,
That reminds me, when I worked for the Atlanta PO at the Federal Annex I parked under the Viaducts, aka Underground Atlanta - in fact, I was once mugged at knife point down there in the dark. What did I expect for free parking? I smell a posting!