Monday, February 11, 2008

Speaking of the Grammies (and politics) –



Years ago music conductor Henry Mancini’s album PETER GUNN beat out Frank Sinatra’s albums in whatever category. People found it hard to believe because either of Sinatra’s albums* outsold PETER GUNN.

If I got to vote, I would have voted for Gunn too. It is great albums full of bounce and mystic. I listen to it every so often, just to exercise my finger snapping.

They key word here is albums; plural. Two of Sinatra’s albums was up in the same category, therefore, were competing with each other and Mancini’s PETER GUNN.

If only one of Frank Sinatra’s albums was in the competition Old Blue Eyes probably would have won.

I think a very similar thing happened in the last Presidential election. The people who voted for Ralph Nader would probably have voted for Al Gore if Nader wasn’t on the ballot.

I don’t think the Democrats will have to worry about history repeating itself with Cynthia McKenney running on the Green Party ticket.

*I forgot the names of Sinatra’s albums… one was all about being lonely, like “Stranger In the Night”, etc.

5 comments:

janie said...

And wasn't it a similar thing with Bush and Clinton and Ross Perot?

Jon Anderson ran as a third party candidate way back there, too. I forget what party.

Ralph Nader has done this more than once, and says he may run this year.

I think you are right about the Cynthia thing.

janie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eddie said...

Janie,
You are right. Ross Perot was the 3rd wheel in that election.

Anonymous said...

Anderson was an independent.

Nader? Hmmm....we might have been better off has he been test driving one of those "unsafe at any speed" cars in 1999 or so...

When I worked at the record store, way back in bygone days, we called the grammies "the phonies." We were sooooo hip!

Eddie said...

Steve,
That is sooooo cooooool!