Friday, February 22, 2008

What About Them Dawgs!?



There is an interesting article in The Marietta Daily Journal this morning.

One is about an artist who specializes in dogs. His name is Stephen Huneck and lives his home and studio is at Dog Mountain in ST. JOHNSBURY, Vermont.

He has created dogs in several types of art: statues, canvas, and more (it was a long article). He has a church for dogs (see above) and a Disney World – type of place for dogs, so said the article.

Stephen Huneck feels that dogs are mystic and could teach humans a lot about loyalty, forgiving, accepting, and loving… I agree.

But! Sister Mary Martha may have something to say about that… she would probably remind us that dogs are not going to heaven – she usually says that in regard to loving cuddly caring animals. If that is the case, then that only makes them even better – they are not doing all this loving and expecting to be awarded for it in the hereafter. That is true good.

In the article it said that his dog sculptures are so realistic live dogs have actually sniffed the sculptured dogs’ rear ends. Now that is a complement!

2 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

I agree with Huneck, but I think all animals are mystic and continously teach humans about many things that are good.

I have to disagree with Sister Mary Martha on the matter that animals do not go to heaven. She said,

"I stand by this one along with St. Thomas Aquinas, but the Church is actually mute on the subject."

The church is mute because they don't know. The Protestant church is also mute because they don't know either. I may be wrong, but I don't recall anything in the scriptures that says animals do or don't go to heaven.

I should hope that all of the animals that have been laid on an altar and scraficed in the name of God, and whom have spent thousands of years of providing not only companionship and loyality to man, but also warmth and food, should have a beautiful final place to go. After all, they are spirits and have souls just like humans.

hmmmmmmmm..........

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I had 6 dogs in my life time. I have yet seen any one of them do something with bad intentions. It kinds of remind me of the joke:
A man died and went to the gates of Heaven. He looked down and there was his dog beside him.
The big pearly gates opened and Saint Peter came out with a big book. He said, "We know you are very good and have been all your life - why is he here - do you want to bring him in here with you."
The man said, "If I can."
Saint Peter said, "I wasn't talking to you."
Pardon the crude joke, I sort of made it up as I went along.