Saturday, February 23, 2008

World Famous Col Poole’s Ga BBQ postcard




That is what the card says. It is right. It is BBQ and it is world famous. It must be, why else would all the politicians flock there to have their pictures taken?

Inside the restaurant are many pictures of politicians eating there. There are pictures on the wall of politicians such as Jimmy Carter, Zell Miller, Lester Maddox, and others. In each picture they are eating and smiling. They wanted to be seen. I bet they happened to be running for office when the pictures were made. There are pictures of those same politicians eating at the Varsity in Atlanta, and I bet at other restaurants. They all smile when they eat, which is probably gas or hot air.

The little light rectangle specks on the hill behind the restaurant are mock tombstones, each representing a pig that gave his/her life for your enjoyment. The name of the hill is “Pig Hill of fame”. I told Anna I thought they should change it to “Pig Hill of Flame”. For a price you can be a donor of another tombstone to represent the pig who gave his life for your pleasure… and I think your name goes on the wooden plaque too, along with the pig’s name.

What will the future archaeologists think when they come across the this hill?

Tasteless humor and tasteless exterior decorating skills? But at least, they have tasty barbecue… or they did when we went there several years ago.

Col. Poole’s World famous Georgia BBQ is located in East Ellijay, Georgia. You can see it from the highway.. you can’t miss it… you really can’t.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ET,
Having worked with a few archaeologists (and on a couple of digs myself), they will probably think Col. Poole's was some sort of strong defensive location because all the holes will make it look like a giant palasaide- unless he leaves that car behind, in which case it will become a place were great sacrificial rituals were held. Having eaten there, I think the latter is true. All this BBQ talk is making me hungry, and while Brunswick has stew, none of the BBQ places are to my liking. Guess a road trip is in order! Have a good weekend

Eddie said...

j3,
That is a possibility... it also makes we wonder what we really know about the Indians of the mounds near Cartersville.

That's right, you are right there at the birthplace of Brunswick Stew. You should feel proud, as proud at the people of Buffulo, NY, feel about their wing wings, and of course the French feel about their fries.

Suzanne said...

I think I'd weigh an extra 100 lbs. if I lived down by you. I just love BBQ, and you always write about places that make my mouth water.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Gain a 100 pounds by eating barbecue? Naw, that would be impossible! (I say as I exhale to squeeze through the door).