Saturday, December 30, 2006

Saddam Is Number 3

The headline in this morning’s paper in big bold font was SADDAM HANGS.

If deaths of celebrities come in 3s, and if Gerald Ford and James Brown were the first two, then Saddam must be number 3. What a diverse 3!

I think President Ford was a good president. To me he was humble, non-pretentious, and apparently honest. I didn’t approve of him pardoning Nixon, but he didn’t ask me, and that was his right to pardon whomever he damn well wanted to. Ford brought a split country together. Good for him.

James Brown was a great entertainer. Many times I find my mind humming to itself one of James Browns’ songs… I think the one my mind likes to hum the most is “I feel good!”, which is fine, but I wish my mind wouldn’t try to spin in one place at the pause. James Brown spent some time in prison, I think I heard 2 years in the slammer. I haven’t heard much about that but have heard a lot about the grieving non-widow who claims she is a widow… the news have zoomed in on her on every sentence she has to say. Why? Probably the same reason reality TV goes over so well… close ups of people’s emotional faces dealing with a dilemma or crisis is good business. However, I am not sure sending James Brown’s body on a tour is a good thing. They did that with little King Tut’s mummy but that was different, not a recent death to mourn. To me a touring corpse that they change the suit at every stop puts in the glitter and gaudiness of show business when wakes and funerals are suppose to be somewhat different.

And Saddam is number 3. That is the swiftest act of punishment I have heard of recent times…. No appeals in this court! From what I heard I am sure the man deserved to be punished or executed. If you think this was quick justice, it could have quicker when we first invaded Iraq and Bush said he wanted Saddam dead or alive. Bush was already Judge and Jury before the man was even caught.

I wonder if Saddam Hussein’s body will get a whistle stop tour of Iraq?

4 comments:

kenju said...

According to our morning paper, he could be buried next to his sons in Tikrit, or sent to Jordan where his 2 daughters live or buried in a secret location. I don't know what the answer is, but I sure don't care where he is buried, since I never plan to visit his grave. I wonder why they hung him so quickly and didn't wait until the Muslim holiday of Eid was finished. I read that many Muslims will take that as an insult. God knows we don't need anything else to rile them up!

Eddie said...

Judy,
I agree, we have pushed the Muslins enough already. Ruffle their feathers and you are pushing buttons for terrorism. Woe is us.

Suzanne said...

So W finally got to kill the man who tried to kill his daddy. I know he's mad that he can't celebrate more since so many soldiers are dying in Iraq in order to make that happen.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
After over 2000 American soldiers' deaths I expect Bush to announce that the Weapons of Mass Destruction was just a joke, a prank, and then go ahead and admit the joke was on him and have a good laugh over it.