Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Illegal To Be Nice To Illegals?

The next county north of here is Cherokee County, Georgia. For a short period in history Cherokee was the only county north of the Chattahoochee River in Georgia. Cherokee County was formed in 1832. It was land owned by treaty the people of the Cherokee Nation. Then gold was discovered… so much for the treaty.

My g-g-g-grandfather Eugene H. Tyson won a gold land lottery in 1832 and moved his family near Woodstock, which is still in Cherokee County. Eugene mined for gold on Kellogg Creek.

About a year ago I visited the Tyson Family cemetery where Eugene is the head member. It was sad to see how the surroundings had changed over the years. Used to, when I first discovered the cemetery, then it was out in the woods, in the middle of pine thicket. Now, there are paved drives and parking lots on two of the sides. One side is a store-all company and the other is the back portion of a car parts company and a coffee break on wheels company. Old car parts have been thrown in and near the graves. On that last visit a Mexican who was washing a coffee break shiny aluminum truck took time off to do a little smoothing with his girlfriend.

I didn’t mind them, but I did mind the car parts, and a few old tires discarded near the graves.

Cherokee County was divided into many smaller counties which is Cherokee County today.

Yesterday the Cherokee Board of Commissioners voted 5-0 to make it illegal to rent or lease property to illegal immigrants and to declare English as county’s official language.

I don’t see any problem as making English the official county language, I thought it was anyway…. But if retailers and service companies want to cater to the Latino community I think they should allowed to use Spanish words in their “come-on advertising”. So, I hope the new law doesn’t band that too.

But for it to be illegal to rent or lease to illegal immigrants? That sounds very unconstitutional with a bit of genocide and the caste system thrown in. They are denying a certain group of people the right of dwell…. And I think laws are supposed to be equally applied to everyone, whether one is a citizen or not.

It may have more consequences that can be foreseen. That is, if everybody obeys the law, or even if it can be enforced.

It reminds me of something similar that happened in a rural community in south Georgia less than a year ago when the local authorities there, under head from their voters, put a squeeze on all the illegal immigrants there. Guess what? After they were gone there were nobody left to do the dirty work in the fields.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just read the ordinance. This old country boy just doesen't understand. If they are so concered about illegal aliens just report them to the authorities, you don't need an ordinance for that. I believe greed is involved somehow. Some slum lord just got to big for his britches.

Eddie said...

You are probably right - greed is just about the foundation for, well, greedy things.

Suzanne said...

So depressing. I think the Cherokees should come back and declare everyone who lives there a squatter and kick them out. After all, the Supreme Court was on their side. They were illegally evicted from the land.

Unknown said...

I have immediate family married to an illegal. It would destroy an entire life if this happened to them. I happen to love this person...we all do and it makes us sick that he/she is discriminated against on a regular basis...Who would Jesus hate, I guess...

In the words of Frank Burns, "It's nice to be nice to those who are nice."

That is something they'd say.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
I think when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Cherokee the President, "Old Hickory" Andrew Jackson said something to the effect: "Let Chief Justice John Marshall enforce the Court's decision".

Bird,
I feel for you. Everybody (caucasions WASPs) anestors came to America for a better life. How can they blame people today. The only problem I have with illegal aliens is they don't pay into the system. I think they should pay their share, which is probably the fault of their bosses for not taking out on them.

Unknown said...

I know many who WOULD pay into the system IF they could legally. My family member (I think) does pay into the system with (maybe) bogus SSN? Not to mention all the sales tax they pay when they purchase items at community businesses. I haven't noticed any of those businesses turning down their cold, hard-earned cash...

Eddie said...

I think the employer, Mr. Big Bucks, make the most for them not paying into the system, they don't have to pay them unemployment when they let them go during off-season bouts.

Suzanne said...

I agree that was what Jackson said, a real George W Bush of his time, wasn't he? The point is that they were illegally removed, and Jackson basically admitted it.

As for illegal immigration, you guys are right on. If we really want to stop illegal immigration, you have to crack down on the employers. As long as there are jobs, people will risk everything to come here. I can't blame them.

Eddie said...

I can't blame them neither. They have mouths to feed and money to send home to their parents.
I remember my brief time as a postal window clerk, on pay-day Fridays they came in to get money orders to send home.