Wednesday, December 20, 2006

All The King's Men - pretty good movie

Last night we rented the DVD movie “All The King’s Men” starring Sean Penn, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, James Gandolfini, and Anthony Hopkins.. We thought it was very good. The movie was made from a book by Robert Penn Warren. It is about a man named Willie Stark and his politics and him as governor of Louisiana. Willie Stark is a fictitious character – but the name is just about the only thing fictitious, it is a very close resemblance of Huey Long’s life story and his dealings and even his death. Democratic advisor James Carville was one of the producers.

In the movie almost every sentence uttered is a quotable quote, that could probably out meaningfully quote any of Shakespeare’s plays. Really, just about every sentence spoken had a universal appeal to it…. Almost.

And the movie had a lot of symbolism in it. Probably many of the symbols went over my head, but even with that, I saw there were a lot. Many of the scenes are of them on the road going from one parish to another. It seems every time they pass a little cross shrine on the side of the road, and each time there were three crosses.

I thought it had an interesting cast. Three of the main cast members were British. And two of the cast were Italian. Can you imagine Tony Soprano with a cornpone southern dialect? I think the British have a way of turning their accent to Southern American, when they want to – I’m not sure Yankee Italians can.

I thought it was a good movie and I am not just saying that because Huey and Earl Long were my 6th cousins, twice removed.

5 comments:

kenju said...

I'll have to rent that.

Eddie said...

Judy,
It is good, but not as good as your Christmas decorations.

Suzanne said...

I swear, you are somehow related to everyone! It's very cool.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
It's true! Earl and Huey Long's mother was Caledonia Palestine Tyson. They were the descendants of

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
I pressed the wrong button, as I was saying:
Its true! Earl and Huey Long's mother was Caledonia Palestine Tyson. We are descended from Mathias Tyson (1760-c1810).