Monday, August 29, 2022

8 Years Ago Post: Missing Phil Maloney

Thinking about Phil Maloney. I became fairly good friends with Phil Maloney when we worked together for a few years. He and Dick Hunter's kids grew up together. He was an expert with computers, or from my viewpoint he was. Several times after work he came by to help me with some mess I created with a program or something. He was quiet, he put a lot of thought into something before he said anything. This is something we postal workers got a kick out of when he told us: Before Sprayberry Post Office was built the Postal Service had to acquire the land, of course. On the land to be acquired was an old abandoned house. I remember the house well, at Halloween a civic organization had a haunted house there one year. I remember taking Rocky there when he was under five years old. Apparently, after they used it for a haunted house Phil and his friend moved in. To acquire the property and the house (the house had to be bulldozed) the Postal Service had to pay Phil and his roommate two years rent, even though they were living there in abandoned house illegally and free; some kind of squatter's law. I will miss Phillip Maloney.

No comments: