Sunday, June 19, 2022

"We Have All Been There!" or "Idiot!"

I was driving north on Bryant Lane when I saw a car, about three driveways up, backed out of a driveway. Something looked odd, or different. Then I realized he turned too sharply into the street, running over his mailbox. Then he straightened out and begin to drive forward. I saw he was dragging the flattened mailbox and its stand, leaving a trail of dirt clods, a metal rod, and whatever else. The box lost it holt on the underneath the car and fell to the pavement. The driver probably saw his mailbox on the street and turned around in someone’s diveway. A car coming towards me had to go around some parts and clods, so I had to stop until he got by. Then the car that backed over the mailbox came towards me. It was sunny and a heavy dark shade was in the car that I could not see his or her facial expression as we passed. But I think he could see mine. Should I look at him like I was disgusted with him? Or look at him like I was trying to hold back a giggle? I decided to look in his direction and politely nodded, like “We have all been there.”

No comments: