Saturday, June 04, 2022

The Late Willy B

Years ago we used love to go to Grants Park to the Atlanta Zoo. I was always magnetized to the Primate Section. Many times I have stood studying the magnificent Willy B. (c1959-2000), silverback gorilla. Before the outside Primate Center was built Willy B. was confined to barred cell with a hanging tire and a TV set. He looked terribly bored and disgusted. Every once in a while he would slam the hanging tire with the back of his arm in anger. After an outside area was created he looked more content and peaceful, especially, during the time he was slowly systematically introduced to the opposite sex of his species, which in gorilla years he was past middle age. But, by instinct he knew what to do. He fathered several rug-rats . As I said, I stood before him studying and photographing his body movements and facial expressions. We finally learn how to communicate by universal sign language. Like this one, "See my child?" And Here he is telling me, "UP YOURS!"

No comments: