Monday, April 04, 2022

Snobbery

On our walk this morning I was thinking about my old neighborhood Manget and Glover Streets in the south side of Marietta in the 1940s and 50s. I lived on Manget Street which bordered the west side of Larry Bell Park. My friends lived mostly on Glover Street which bordered the southside of the park. We had a variety of fruit trees and nut trees. We had black walnut, pecan, pear, apples and peach tree trees. We also had chickens. They were free range chickens that somehow knew our property lines. I think most of our neighbors on Manget and Glover had chickens. Some had hogs, and some had a horse. I can only recall two houses on Glover Street that had outhouses. I don't think any neighborhood in those days, except ours, in the Marietta city limits, would tolerate any household having a pig, chickens, or an outhouse. Snobbery.

No comments: