Saturday, April 16, 2022

Olga's Daddy, The Cuban Rancher

We went to Papi’s Cuban Grill the other day. Through the years we have been there 2 or 3 other times through the years and they remained themselves, they have’t changed much. However they did remind me of Olga and her parents. They were Cuban to refugees. Olga was married to a friend/coworker at the Atlanta Post Office in about the early 1970s. When in Cuba Olga’s father was a rancher. He more or less took his money and ran. Then they were retired. They loved to play Canasta and took the game very seriously. If Olga’s parents were on opposite sides they were spitting mad at each other until the game was over. Another thing I remember about the father, one time we invited them over for dinner and to play cards, of course. I was cooking streaks outside and he came out to join me. We got carried away waving our arms around pantomonlng and I accidentally hit a steak and it hit the dirt. My guest picked up the steak, brushed if off, and put it back on the steak stack. Then he put his finger to his lips and in not so many words said, “Our secret.”

No comments: