Monday, March 01, 2010

Death To Friends and Kin Hurt


My friend Paul Roper’s ex-brother-in-law and good friend died Gary Harris, age 63, died Friday.

Paul told me last Tuesday that Gary was in Hospice and was not expected to live much longer. Paul went to visit him that day and you could tell he was sincerely heartfelt. He looked tired. They have known each other for many years. I didn’t know it until Sunday evening* when I read the obituary that Gary had died.

I read in the obituary that he had a 32 Ford that he built from the ground up. Paul has restored a couple of antiques cars also. I’m sure that gave them a common bond.

Until Harris Jewelers closed I dropped by a couple times a year to get batteries replaced in my watch or heart monitor. I only talked to Gary one time. Usually his mother Mrs. Harris or Paul’s daughter Ashlee waited on me. I usually waited, pacified, looking at a parrot that was roosting in its cage and grumbling to itself.

The one time I talked to Gary he seemed like a nice person. The price was fair.

I know his loved ones will miss him.

*I forgot to read Saturday and Sunday’s obituaries until Sunday evening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks roc,
paul

Anonymous said...

EH, EXCUSE ME, ROCK,
THANKS.
FORGOT MY CAPITALS
PAUL

The Grammar Warden said...

*snicker*