Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Deep Waters


Today I received my GEORGIA BACKROADS magazine in the mail. I flipped through it planning what I wanted to read first. There is an article about Georgia Child Labor about 1920 which looks like it will be good. By the way, Mary Phagan, was a child laborer at age 13 when she was raped and kill; there is an article how the Titanic disaster effected the small Georgian town Adrian; an article about Georgia reptiles – I think I’ll skip that one; Flannery O’Connor’s Andalusia Farm; Georgia’s Goodwill Ambassadors – an article about the Monroe Girl & Bugle Corps back in the ‘60s; a story about Pulitzer Prize-Winning Novelist Caroline Miller; WSB Radio in the old days; and an article about the Odyssey of Andre Steiner: Unsung Hero of Jekyll Island, which looks good too.

While I was flipping through the magazine I came across the above advertising waterfront lots at Juliette, Georgia. I had a sad feeling looking at the picture.

Juliette, Georgia, is just north of Macon.

My brother-in-law Tommy Prance help construct* Lake Juliette, which I think is probably the lake in the ad.

Later, while spending some recreation time at the lake he was swimming beside a friend that was rowing a boat. Their conversation was interrupted by Tommy making no response. The friend looked in the direction Tommy was at and he wasn’t there. That was July 2nd, 1988.

Tommy’s body surfaced about fifteen months later.

Life can completely alter itself and all those concerned in the middle of a sentence with no warning.

*Did you know there are no natural lakes in Georgia? They are all man-made.

5 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

You should read the reptile article. The better informed you are about local snakes, the less fearful you become of being set upon by a regiment of roaming reptiles.

All snakes are not poisonous but all are dangerous. The non-poisonous may make you hurt yourself getting away. You could be allergic to the bite of a 'harmless' snake, just like to bee stings.

I let the non-poisonous snakes slither on away, they eat rats, mice, bugs and other undesirables.

Eddie said...

Nell,
I'm afraid any snake might want to make a snack of this undesirable (pointing at myself).

I might get around reading about the serpents too, lastly.

Tammy Prance said...

Thanks Eddie! Thoughts and prayers are with you as I know you have been helping Anna make some tough choices in the last few weeks.

Eddie said...

And thank you Tammy. The older we get the more complicated life is becoming.

Anonymous said...

it's also sad how Juliette will soon be a booming metropolis.