Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Back ♪ In the Waiting Room Again…♫


(Sung to the tune of Gene Autry’s “Back In the Saddle Again”).

At the doctors’ office today I parked on the top level of a multi-level parking lot. I went up to the elevator and saw only one button. I pressed the button, thinking why bother to look at the small sign underneath it – I was on the roof… the only thing the sign could say is “down” - right?

A mother with a duel baby carriage with babies were walking to towards me. I thought, “What if the door opens before she and her kids get here I will very gentlemanly hold the door and wait on them.”

I glanced at another button by the elevator and it was not lit up. “What th…?” I looked over at the other button I pressed and it said “Assistance”. I pressed it again, to see if I could un-press it. A man came on and said, “Security – may I help you?”

Just as the lady and kids walked up I was explaining to the man on the other side of the button that I pressed the wrong button. I explained it to the mother with the twins too – she laughed but was glad to here they are responsive.

Down we went to the main floor. On the way to the doctors’ office I wanted I stopped and got a cut of coffee and sat down in sort of a corridor-lobby to drink my coffee and to watch people. It occurred to me I was sitting right outside of the doors of the “Cancer Center.” Then I looked at the people sitting around. There were some young men and women with bald heads and quiet a few looked depressed… like lifeless. Very sad.

I overheard young bald-headed lady on her cell-phone having a good hearty laugh with someone. She wasn’t going to let it get her down.

Finally in the waiting room, I was sitting near the entrance door and a woman tried to get her wheelchair through the door. She was going in almost completely sideways – I don’t think she has got the hang of wheelchairs yet. I got up, pushed her out of the way to get out and get behind her. I don’t remember saying a word. I took the pushing handles, moved her back relined her more squarely through the door and begin pushing her in. There was something on the bottom of the door that one had to use a little force to push the chair over – which I did – and I did just as the woman put her arms down on the wheels to give me a helping hand. I smashed her arm. She let out a yelp.

I got her through and I rolled her up to the receptionist’s counter as the woman studied her arm to see if I skinned her arm or broke it.

I left her at the counter. I slithered back to my book and disappeared in it.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Well, I bet that's the last time you try to help anyone!!
She should have kept her arms "inside the vehicle"!!

Eddie said...

Judy,
You are right. I think my first thought was, "Now, how am I going to get out of this?"

which is equal to Laural and Hardy, "Oh, what a fine mess we got ourselves into."

Carolyn said...

Sideways driveways anyhow!!

At least you didn't get off on the wrong floor, get back on, then after the elevator filled up w/more people, got off when the doors on the opposite side of the elevator slid open, only to find out you were still on the same wrong floor. Not that that's ever happened to me ;p

How did you get those music notes on your post title?

Eddie said...

Carolyn,

It seems these days I leave a trail of blunders...from elevators to going in and out the wrong doors.

On the music notes, I do the text first on Word, before I copy and paste it in the text body of the blog.

Then, while I have Word in front of me, I go to the top tool bar and press INSERT.

The INSERT menu scrolls down - and if you press the little symbol saying on want to see more, one of the selections will by SYMBOLS. Pick SYMBOLS and you can pick all kinds of neat things, like smiley faces, cent symbols, degree little circles.. type and ad the symbols where you want it and copy and paste again.

Of course, your music notes will be more meaningful than mine, because you know what different musical notes mean.