Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stuffy Side-Kick


Remember Roy Rogers and Trigger? Roy Rogers was squeaky clean – not like the cigarillo chewing Clint Eastwood. I read or heard that when Trigger died Roy had hilm stuffed and he became a permanent fixture at the ranch – that is Trigger, not Roy.

Speaking of Roy, he always had a male friend, or sidekick*, nearby. I think most of the male cowboy squeaky clean hero stars did. Roy had Gabby (George) Hayes; Gene Autry had Smiley Burnette; the Cisco Kid had Poncho; Lash LaRue had Fuzzy Saint John…. and….and … oh! another time later, Roy replaced Gabby with some nut who drove a jeep named Pat. I wonder if Gabby was stuffed also?

Which brings up this day in history: George Gabby Hayes died this date at age 83 in Albuquerque, Colorado.


*Except for Poncho it appeared that most comic sidekicks were free-lancers.

2 comments:

kenju said...

I remember them well.

Eddie said...

Judy,
My favorite was the Durango Kid - I liked the way he leaped from roof to roof top and swung on ropes.