Thursday, April 10, 2008

Willow Killed a Rabbit Today


Our dog killed a rabbit today in the back yard.

A neighbor told me and I put Willow inside and investigated. He said he hollered at her as she was carrying it up the stairs to the deck.

The rabbit was underneath the deck, near the steps. It had part of its back hide ripped off. The poor thing was dead.

My neighbor looked like he didn't approve. Once he was going to shoot a hawk that almost grabbed up a chipmunk. Well,

I kept her inside away from the den windows which overlook the back yard and dug a grave for the rabbit. After I covered it with dirt I put many heavy rocks on top of the grave to keep Willow wanting to dig it up for a snack later on.

However, when I did let her back out she focused herself looking for the rabbit. She looked all over the yard for it... slowly walking and sniffing. She didn't find it, but did find the hide she ripped off and settled down to munch on that. The harm was already done, so I let her have at it.

Well, I hate that it happened, but the dog was bred to hunt and kill. Don't blame the dog, blame mother nature.

2 comments:

Si's blog said...

Why do they think God made rabbits? I can tell you. To make lots of little rabbits until there are enough to feed the foxes/doggies. Otherwise we would be up to our you-know-whats in bunnies. Good dog. Fulfilling God's will.

Eddie said...

Si,
What I'm afraid of, God put us humans here for the same reason.