Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! Off to Work We Go!



St. Louis Cathedral looks something like a Disney Enchanted Castle doesn’t it? The picture almost suggests that at any moment you will see Tinkerbell make a flying loop around the highest steeple and a parade led my the graceful Snow White with Micky Mouse clumsily dancing around her.

This cathedral is on the bend of the Mississippi River. It is majestic sight – or enchanted – to come in via ship and see this huge thing beaconing you.

In January of 1965 I came in on the ship the USS NEWPORT NEWS. There was already a British ship waiting. We were to do battle – to reenact The Battle of New Orleans. Or at least they did. I left the ship and didn’t come back for several days. I had some sight seeing to do and a motel bathroom to use (nothing is worse than having to use knees to knees cramped ship heads).

This bottom photo was probably taken below sea level. The Mississippi is blocked by a long cement wall – a levy? The times I was there the river is high than the street and Jackson Square.

Which reminds me, also about there, the times I have visited, are panhandlers, performing musicians with their hats turned upside down in front of them – with at least the priming bucks in plain view. The Square seems to attracts mimes. It seems there is always a few mimes around, in white-face, dressed in black or white – maybe wearing a top hat, maybe a derby…., people selling stuff, food venders, arty stuff, and hoards of people and the big very light church in the background.

In a way, it reminds me of the money changers.

4 comments:

kenju said...

I loved it there. There were artists in the square selling paintings, mimes, jugglers, dancers - it was great! The cathedral is beautiful.

Eddie said...

Judy,
My only regret is that I didn't circulate in the crowds and pickpocket more.

The Ban Phai Farang said...

What I love about New Orleans is the food. No matter where you go there is something good to eat. One of the things I really miss about home.

Eddie said...

Reuben,
I don't think I appreciated the Cajun and Creole foods as much as I do today.
Today I will go out of may to find something like that to eat - then, I ate what was in front of me.
However, the Hog's head cheese you brought from home to the ship, I still remember, was spicy and delicious!