Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sloss Furnaces Museum - Birmingham, Al postcard


It says on the back:
“In 1881 railroad magnate James Withers Sloss constructed a pair of blast furnaces on this site. Extensively rebuilt in 1927-28, the plant continued to produce pig iron until 1970. Now it is a City of Birmingham museum….” and so on.

Now you know.

1881 huh? My great grandfather, William A. Hunter’s son John Rafas Hunter’s daughter Emma Viola and her husband Andrew J. Abercrombie moved to Birmingham for Andrew to work in the steel mills – and spent the rest of their lives there.

6 comments:

Si's blog said...

I think the State of Georgia ought to set up an ET Museum for you to put all of your stuff. Either that or you put it all down in a book complete with plates of all of your pictures and postcards.

Eddie said...

Si,
OK!
Lets name it Chick Fat Pack Rat Museum ... it rhymes!
Look for me behind the cash register in the gift shop.

Anonymous said...

We wen there for a football game in 1999 or 2000. I didn’t care for it much, but I am not a city kind of guy.

Eddie said...

Si,
I did my city-thing, now, like you, I like to romp in the wide opened spaces where the buffaloes roam and the antelope play.

Suzanne said...

That place looks awesome.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,

And I'm sure hot in its time.