Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weekend Pics




Here are some pictures I took over the weekend. They are not perfect compositions or a study in color or light. The subject matter is all that counts. I deleted the ones that only had my foot hand, or an eye as the focused subject.

The first picture was in the previous blog. It was the sign in front of the Sandy Plains Baptist Church saying this coming week is No-Watch TV week. I am just trying to get some more miles out of it, that’s all.

I took it while on a bike ride in my area of Marietta as well as the next two below.


The top picture is the McMansion that I reported was fire Friday. Saturday I boldly parked my bike in the driveway next door and took this picture. My bike was pointed outward towards the street in case anybody hollered at me… brave, aren’t I?

The below were taken at the Big Shanty Festival in Kennesaw Sunday:






The above picture was taken of “Wildman” Dent Myers’ store. He is an interesting person. Someday I may have to talk some more about Wildman.




By the old Train Depot were many age groups clogging and doing hip-hop dancing, musical dancing, and I don’t know what all. I sat there transfixed, all the dances impressed me. Not too many years ago they had a big group named THE LI'L GENERAL CLOGGERS (or similar) that did things like this, I don't know if they were the same group of not. There, while enjoying the dancers and the dances we had barbecue Sandwiches we bought there from the Kennesaw Optimist Club. It was good and plenty of meat, but I should have complained, just to take their optimist smiles off their faces.

There we ran into my first cousin. She was there with her daughter and two grandkids. She confirmed what I said a few postings back.

I think the arts and crafts booths were the most I have seen in one place. They just about covered every street in the downtown area. I was talking to a lady that had jewelry booth and she told me she does better at festivals that are sort of inner-city or in the center of large towns – she said she has always done good in festivals in downtown Marietta but not at well as more rural areas such as Kennesaw.

I noticed a lot of people wearing something with the brand name Harley Davidson on them. Maybe a tee-shirt, a back pack, belt buck, whatever. It is not the first time I noticed a lot of Harley Davidson attire at festivals. I may just have to send off for me a Trek Bike tee –shirt to show them a thing or two.

Also we noticed plenty of people brought their dogs. We wished we had brought Willow. Oh well, we can make it up next Friday night by carrying her to concert at Glover Park in Marietta.




You can see the Kennesaw Civil War and Train History Museum over the peak of tents – if you stand on your tip-toes and strain.



A Titanic blow-up ride? It is like a water-park slide, but instead of water to slide down on, you do it on your butt.



What is a Civil War historical area without a reenactments? It reminds me of a book I once read by Sharyn McCrumb named GHOST RIDERS. Only one side were re-enactors and the others were well…gulp! You get the idea.

6 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

Good pics of the Big Shanty Festival, Eddie! Wish I could have been there.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Thanks!
You going to the concert tonight?

Deborah Wilson said...

No, but I'll be at the Confederate Memorial Day Parade tomorrow - it starts at 1:45. I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to park so that I can have a good view and be close to the cemetery too. I might just get JK or my step dad to drop me off and then give them a ring to come and get me when it's over. I'll probably be in Marietta Square on Sunday too.

With everything going on this summer, I need to invest in a new lawn chair. :)

Eddie said...

Deborah,

I think you can park in the big parking lot of the 1st Methodist Church, see the parade and walk on down to the Confederate Cemetery, from there it is only about 2 or 3 blocks.
We invested in two lawn chairs a couple years ago that are strong and sturdy and are neatly packed in a tube-looking thing... good investment.
I don't think we are going to the Taste of Marietta this year.... to keep it good, we need to keep it rare.

Deborah Wilson said...

Eddie,

Ended up parking in front of the cemetery so I could be close to attend the memorial. It was real nice. And I got a few good pics and videos..:)

Eddie said...

Deborah,

Good.

Those ceremonies can be emotional... the sound of a long bugle. I get choked up thinking about it.

I remember as a grammar schooler marching with my class there on Confederate Memorial Day and put little Rebel flags on each grave. Us white kids went to the Confederate cemetery and on regular Memorial Day the black kids marched to the National Cemetery.