Monday, April 07, 2008

What About just Moderation and Cute? postcard


These are the famous University of Georgia Arches*. The back of the postcard says they were modeled after the great seal of the State of Georgia and were constructed in 1857.

I have seen these arches on official Georgia seals all my life – somehow I was expecting them to be presented in a grander way. Maybe with statues of bleached white Greek gods bowing to them with heavenly clouds in the background. In reality the Arches are just standing there as one of the entrances onto the campus of the University of Georgia. The picture, I’m sure, was taken from the city of Athens sidewalk.

The postcard further states that the arches stand for Justice, Wisdom, and Moderation.

1857 was 4 years before the Civil War started and slavery was perfectly legal and most felt justified (by white folks). Justice?

What were justice and wisdom then are not justice and wisdom now. Moderation is still up for the Gods to define.

*I was told that they are not UGA "Arches" but the UGA "Arch". The back of the postcard called the THE ARCHES. But, I think the person that told me it is "Arch" is more likely to be right - knowing his history of being right. I bet the person who wrote the printed text on card is not a DAWG alumni.

2 comments:

Si's blog said...

I am cute and believe in everything in moderation. Maybe they should put me on some kind of great seal. Or maybe on a great walrus.

Eddie said...

Si,

I am cute too... in a manly kind of way. I am beyond moderation - I have been told I am cheap. I prefer to call it frugal.