Saturday, November 24, 2007

Probably Not Photo-Booth Picutres


At first I thought these were taken in a photo-booth. But, on the other hand, I don’t think photo-booths were in operation then. I googled photo-booths and could not find the date they started but I did find that the Polaroid process were patented in 1929,

These are Anna’s mother’s aunt and uncles, a sister and two brothers. I think they planned to have their pictures taken that day. They dressed up and two brought their hats.

The sister is Lena, born in 1877, the middle picture was of the brother Luther, born in 1879, and the bottom brother was Claudius (Claude for short) born in 1888. It appears Claude was after the carefree image and the other two were after a more formal image.

I estimate that the pictures was taken about 1909, before Lena’s marriage December 28, 1909.

3 comments:

kenju said...

Wonderful old pics!

Anonymous said...

Those look like what would now be called contact sheets for models. Made by film, of course, but it is all the tiny images captured during that shoot. Then you would pick the best one.

I was just visiting via Carolyn's!

Eddie said...

Judy,
Yep, wonderful old pics!
Deana,
Contacts! I should have thought of that (but I didn't). I used to do b&w photography when my boys were young and develop my own and of course, did as you said, first make a contact and pick out the best ones.
Thanks for visiting and you have a nice looking site.