Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Invisible Man Meets The Invisible Woman


I have mentioned many times on my invisibility. People look right through me. It is not like they are ignoring me – they just don’t sense my presence. It is probably because I am a quiet and mild nature… Who would notice a bump on a log?

never-the-less, I get heated up deep down in the pits of my soul when I feel I am being overlooked.

The latest case of me being ignore (that I know of) last week I was taking something back at Wal-Mart. When I entered the Customer Service area there were three people in front of me. I politely waited my turn. A man came up behind me and was yaking on his cell-phone and must not have noticed me.

Then, a lady came up in a store-electric wheelchair – or whatever they are called – “turn-abouts”? and got behind the man on the cell phone. When he said his goodbye’s he looked and saw her in line (at least she was sitting). One of the Customer Service ladies said, “Next!” He turned around to the lady in the machine with wheels and told her to go on, no sense for her to have to wait. And she pressed forward and went on. Then, another lady said “Next” and he went – and there I stood standing, still at the head of the line.

Then the third lady said “Next” and I was teed off. As I walked up to the counter I motioned with my hands and said “Those two broke in front of me!” The clerk politely changed the subject.

Today I took Willow to the dog park off Steinhaur Road. A lady came up to me and Willow and bent over and petted Willow and said, “Hi Willow!” After talking to her a few minutes I realized we have talked before at the dog park. But, I don’t remember her at all. Usually, since I feel I am on the outside looking in I remember people and details about them. Not this time.

An invisible person of the opposite sex?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When this happens to me, I shove in front of the budger and sweetly say, "Excuse me, but I was here first." This happened recently at a new chocolate shop that opened near my apartment. When the wench in line behind me tried to reach around me to hand her items to the check out lady, I pointed out that I was there first. "Oh, I didn't see you," the idiot lied.

"Did you think I was standing here for my health or for fun?" I snarled. She looked away. Or she might not have heard me. Still, I felt better defending my turf.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
There is a lady who has a blog or a website about people who claim to invisible or unnoticed. Somebody once since we her link and it was very interesting reading - on just how rude people are, claiming they "just didn't see" another person. I think they that part they are being truthful. What bugs me is the reason they didn't see me or somebody else is that they are too darn self-absorbed!

Suzanne said...

I think people are just inconsiderate and pretend that they didn't see you because they think being self-absorbed is less offensive than purposely cutting another person in line. But maybe I am wrong.

Eddie said...

You are probably right.