Thursday, May 10, 2007

Seasons


Click to see better detail of the image.
Doing genealogy I find myself in cemeteries a bunch of times, not for gruesome reasons, but to find markers of my relatives for genealogical reasons.

While in a cemetery I just about have to take a quick survey looking at every marker to make sure I didn’t miss any one, so most of the time I come across an interesting tombstone.

Take for example the above marker that I stumbled across in Carmel Baptist Church, near Woodstock, Georgia: Ikey Reaves Winfrey. He died 5 days short of being 56 years old. The tombstone and grave cover is shiny black marble… if that was not a show in itself, there is also a likeness of him on the marker and dressed all snazzy. There are plastic play-figures horses, all lying down except one, which must be super glued on the marble grave cover. There is a poem which I think is quoted from the Bible, and was a popular song, but it has more meaning here: Tis the season….

4 comments:

cbish68 said...

I've been to that cemetery many times, and that gravestone is very striking. My daughter calls it the "Horsie Grave". She likes to play with the little horses. I trust Mr. Winfrey would approve.

Eddie said...

Chris,
I'm sure he would. He looks like one who loved life and I think whoever had the marker made had it tailored made (mentally) to fit the man inside.

Barbara Winfrey said...

This is the grave of my daddy. He would consider it an honor that even children he never knew visit his grave. He loved people. He was also quite the Cowboy.
Yes he did Love life and lived every minute of everyday. He always said "something to good to loan was to good to own" so he would be thrilled the children play with his horses. He was the greatest man I've ever known and is missed every minute of every day.

Barbara Winfrey-Eilers

Barbara Winfrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.