Friday, May 11, 2007

Carmel Baptist Church Cemetery



We are still here at the Carmel Baptist Cemetery near Woodstock. Let me point out a few persons of interest - my interests anyway.

Above is the "after" picture of my great grandparents' marker. They are William and Emaline Ray Hunter. William is the one, you will recall, that fled North Carolina, in about 1865, after involved in killing a man, and went to Texas, then, finally settling in Woodstock and changing his name to Hunter. (Now you are yawning, saying you heard that story before over and over and over). See how clean looking their tombstone is? Somebody cleaned it. I think they probably water pressured it with bleach or sandblasted it. I can't figure out who. I can't think of anyone that is still around that would do something like that, but me - and I didn't do it - or at least I don't think I did.



The "before" picture of the same marker. See how dingy it looks?



In front of them is their oldest son Charlie Jefferson Hunter and his wife Letha Parr. You can see William and Emaline's tombstone in the background. Their houses were also side by side.

Charlie owned Hunter's Store, ran a post office in the store, and wrote a weekly gossip column that was published in the Cherokee County weekly newspaper. The name of the column was uniquely called "Hunter's Store". Letha was his second wife.





Charlie's first wife, Paralee Dobbs is buried way in the back of the cemetery where she won't bother anyone.



Here is another Hunter 2nd cousin that is buried only a stone's throw from William and Emnaline, and Charlie and Letha. Their spirits can all sit on their markers and talk about the good old days.



Here is Anna's ancestors James E. and Frances Tyson Kuykendall. Yes, we are 4th cousins, once removed. Her progenitor Frances Tyson and my progenitor Robert C. Tyson were siblings.


And here is a stone of another of Anna's relative, John Kuykdendall. Click to make it larger and you will see it doesn't give his birth date, but gives his death date and the age he was when he departed, from that you can figure out his birth date if you want to. The marker is lying flat down and broken, and put together. Vandals. Tch tch.

A few years ago one Sunday a tornado came through and did a number on the church building. Interesting, it came about a minute after every was out of the building from just hearing the service. I was told the steeple landed on William and Emaline's grave.

Then, a couple years after that the church burned down and it to be rebuilt.

7 comments:

cbish68 said...

Rock,

You and I are probably going to bump into one another in one of these local graveyards someday. I recognize the "RAY" tombstone in the background of your pictures. My wife has a few RAYs in her family tree, and I took pictures of several in that cemetery.

BTW, I see a birth date on John Kuykendalls tombstone. Did you overlook it?

Eddie said...

I must have overlooked it. I think I saw something to the effect "died this day, living 74 years and 10 months."

I'll look again.

Eddie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eddie said...

Steve,
I stand corrected. I missed that across the crack of the stone. - I should go back and correct myself and delete our comments, then nobody will ever know I made a mistake. But my covering-ups alway catches up with me.

When I saw the Ray marker my eye perked up too. As I mentioned William's wife Emaline's surname is Ray and I thought there might be a connection.
Your wife's Rays are not from Macon County, NC, are they?

Eddie said...

Chris,
Darn! I can't do anything right this morning.
In the previous, I meant Chris not Steve.

kenju said...

I like going through old cemeteries too, Eddie.

Eddie said...

Judy,
This may be a new feature on Chicken Fat off and on for a while. I have quiet a few pictures of interesting graves I have photographed over the years... and they may not seem very interesting until I point out things.