Thursday, January 11, 2024

Underground Atlanta 2nd Go It

 Underground Atlanta was a tourist attraction in Atlanta but not so much now. Many years ago the city more or less built streets over existing streets in certain places downtown. The streets left underneath was primary for trucks and loading docks. The old signs remained. The Federal Annex Post Office front, on Forsyth Strteet where the statue of Phoenix was one passage way to the Underground. Once, when I was a Postal employee there, I remember a lady mail clerk, who was nice and polite, but at lunch she preferred to eat her lunch alone in her car parked in Underground Atlanta. Once a policeman saw her sitting in her car and told her to move on. She refused. He threatened her and she more or less knocked him a whallop. He called for backups and backups came and she put two in the hospital before they subdued her. She was a big woman.

When tourist traps, bars, giftshops nightclubs opened we were some of the first to enjoy the place. I remember seeing the WIT’S END PLAYERS perform there. It seemed like they had a play they named THE BURNING OF ATLANTA but I could be wrong. I think Dante’ DOWN THE HATCH was another.
When my Navy buddies visited it was the place to take them, along with the Polaris rotating on top of Regency Hotel.
My friend Franky Hunter’s dad (no relation) Francis Hunter carried relatives visiting . they parked in the street, not in a parking lot and was immediately approached my muggers. Francis whipped both of them. One can do wonders when they are showing off..



No comments: