Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Book Report on Harvey Kurtzman's MAN AND SUPERMAN AND OHER STORIES

 

I  read something the other day about MAN AND SUPERMAN illustrated by Harvey Kurtzman.  I recognized that book.  As a matter of fact, I remembered I own it but have no idea what it is about.

I found it in my collection, a 170 page hardbound.  My bookmark was just after the introduction by Thommy Burns.

Then I read it (years after I bought it).

It is a collection of Kurtzman illustrations  in EC Comics before he started doing the two war comics and after that MAD Comicbooks and the first few MAD Magazines before he and publisher Bill Gaines clashed.   It has 22 Kurtzman illustrated stores.

They are very good and at places you can  recognize Harvey Kurtzman’s style of flow of words.

And you can see stories that later appeared in MAD, but funnier.  And I read at least two of the illustrated stories that I remember reading in my preteen years.

If you are a Havey Kurtzman fan or if never heard of Harvey Kurtzman I think it will entertain you.

 


No comments: