Wednesday, December 14, 2022

THE GENERAL & THE BISCUIT WAR

This is the famous Cyclorama ‘s THE BURNING OF ATLANTA. It is crammed with historical details. If you look close or the guide points it out, you can see Rhett Butler and Miss Scarlett. It is gigantic. If I remember correctly the art surrounds the visitors, which moves slowly on some kind of conveyer. It was on the grounds of Grant Park, just a stone’s throw from the Atlanta Zoo. That is where I saw it both times. Then, in the lobby or foyer of the Cyclorama was the TEXAN train engine. If you saw Walt Disney’s movie THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE it was the TEXAS that was in hot pursuit of THE GENERAL. Now THE BURNING OF ATLANTA’s home is in the Atlanta Historical Society building on West Paces Ferry Road, near the Governor’s Mansion. I have been to their museum only once and that was when I was showing my friend Bluto from L.A. the highlights of Atlanta. When we first entered the museum the first employee (guide, dossier) was a friend. This was the year 2011. In the year 2000, after I retired from the Postal Service, this lady and I worked for the 2000 Census. She had long fiery red hair that always looked like it was always flowing and out of control but I think it was very much in control, she wanted it to look like that. Interestingly shortly after she went to work for the Census 2000 she had to take a week or so off to go to Iran. She was a widow of an Iranian that was killed under strange circumstances, which I never could follow. She had to go to Iran for his funeral and to get his affairs in order. She was a woman, so inheriting her husband’s land, handed down, was out of the question, but it would be OK for their 3 year old son to inherit it. Which he has probably delt with it by now. I asked her, being a female, how did the Iranians treat her? She said like a queen. I asked did she have to wear a mask and she said she still had her head didn’t she? At the museum she got Bluto and I in free and she gave us a great tour of all the interesting historical stuff the museum had at that time. They were almost finished moving from their previous building. Back to Census 2000’s office: The red headed lady and another lady brought something like cookies or biscuits to work one day. One did, I do not remember which one. And the next day the other lady brought some even more divine finger food, only to be topped by the other one the next day. I think I and the other office people gained a few pounds during their Homemade Goodies war.

No comments: