Wednesday, December 28, 2022

On PBS last night we watched Dick Cavett talk about and praise Groucho Marx. First, my first impression was, “Wow! Dick Cavett is now a wrinkled old man!” We watched him a lot back in the 70s when he was young, witty, charming, articulate with his choice of words, and so on. Through the years he had grown close to Groucho, which he really appreciated and tried to show that appreciation. Groucho was witty, blunt, wise-cracker, wordy, and Grocho-like. I think it would be fair to say Dick mildly worshipped Groucho, and now in his late 80s he is still t getting more mileage out of his compulsiveness And I enjoyed every minute of it. Woody Allen said Groucho Marx was like every wise cracking Jewish uncle that showed up at every family get together. Groucho was a man of letters. He wrote plenty of letters. He published his letters. The name of the book is THE GROUCHO LETRTERS. And they were entered into The Library of Congress, which he was proud of. When the cover of the book was shown I told Anna “I have that book!” Which this morning I found it. The name of it is “THE GROUCHO LETTERS”, which now I will start rereading. Not to shoot Groucho down or anything, but I thought all copyrighted material The Library of Congress gets a copy. We went to THE DICK CAVETT SHOW back in the early 1970s. That night he had as a guest star Carrie Snodgrass of the movie DAIRY OF A MAD HOUSEWIFE. I think along that same time ( same week or near) Governor Lester Maddox walked off his show.

No comments: