Monday, May 23, 2022

Which Will it Be?

We moved here about 46 years ago. A few days before the closing I dropped by our future home to take a few measurements. While there, swapping pleasantries with the outgoing mother I brought up the news. I said something like, “Did you hear about the two girls in Smyrna, one killed and one raped?” She said it gave her chills to think about it. I should have thought before I spoke, she has a daughter about the same age as the two who was murdered and molested. I remember her daughter was named Hope, named after a girl about her age in DAYS OF OUR LIVES soap. Hope is still around on DAYS, but now a cop on a mission hunting down somebody, haven’t seen her in a couple of years. I went on to say that happened as the girls walked home from Richard Russell Grammar School, just around the corner of the where we were living. She changed the subject.. Today the front page of the MARIETTA DAILY JOURNAL reminded me of that terrible assault. The accused murderer/rapper, Virgil Delano Presnell, Jr is schedule to be put to death next week. His death sentence has already been postponed over a technicality. He is also scheduled for a clemency hearing. Which will it be?

No comments: