Friday, May 20, 2022

Our First House and my Decorations

When my grandmother Minnie Victoria Tyson Hunter died in July 1948 it left my grandfather Frank Pariss Hunter alone. We moved in with him. My parents had some remodeling done, such as underpinning; and indoor bathroom; brown outside siding; and counter and cabinets in the kitchen. It was an old house. My grandfather Frank, died in March 1950. I moved into his bedroom. His bedroom was a smaller room off from the kitchen. In 1954, when in the 7th grade, I discovered MAD Comicbook. Not only did I read and reread them I cut out figures to use as clip art, like getting the most out of them. On one wall of my bedroom I used wild “Mad” clippings and attached them to the wall. I also did the same with clipping out of LIFE Magazine clippings. Each clipped figure from MAD or LIFE interacted with the figurer on the wall next to it. I wished I had taken a picture. Daddy became chief of the Cobb County Police and it was time to buy a new house. We put the house on Manget Street up for sell. I remember a single man by the name of Todd came to look at it. He said he would buy it. My mother, embarrassed by my clipped art on the wall said, “Of course we will remove these cut up magazine pictures from this wall. Todd said, in so many words, “You do and I will not buy this house.” And he bought it, “As Is! Todd only lived there two or three or years. He went to prison for molesting a little boy living nearby.

No comments: