Monday, May 30, 2022

Marietta National Cemetery

Pictures by me. MARIETTA NATIONAL CEMETERY - Horace Crowder is my first cousin, once removed. He is the son of Tom and Annie Tyson Crowder. He was killed during the Normandy Invasion and died in front of his best friend and first cousin Stanley Hunter. He had a son named Terry which I doubt if he ever met. I think Terry and his mother moved to Ohio and he would visit his grandmother, my great Aunt Annie in the summers. We were about the same age and played. I remember Terry's birthday was on Leap Year, February the 29th. I kidded him about being only 3 years old when I was 12. At his aunt's funeral he told me he was living in San Francisco. Incidentally, he barely remembered me or my existence. Norman Carsley is my late friend Sam Carsley's father. He was born in England, and probably had dual citizenship. His part of the ship was hit by a Japanese Kamikaze plane. His body was never found. His wife Hazel Baldwin Carsley never gave up hope that he would return. My father was Sam's surrogate father, which Sam reminded me all his life how much he appreciated that. Henry Cole. Henry donated the land for the National Cemetery when there was an immediate need for Northern soldiers burial grounds. Within the grounds is a plot for the Cole Family. Henry owned a hotel on the northwest corner of the Square. It is/was believed by many that Henry Cole was a Union spy. Psst! Click on each picture to make it bigger and more meaningful.

No comments: