Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Ding Dong! Avon not calling

DONG! Anna said, “That is the doorbell!” We are not used to people calling on us unannounced. I was not sure it was the doorbell or not. I forgot how it sounds. I opened the door and three young ladies were standing there with their Bible and pamphlets. They were Mormons; LDS. I don’t intend to change my ways but I am not rude. They have a mission and I need their church’s help now and then. The Mormons go to great expense with helping one with genealogy. I used to visit their research facilities a lot. They, not hem, but others in their church have helped me a lot before I had a program, methods, and so on. I told the three young ladies how their church has helped me. They seemed please to hear that. I gave them a good example: I knew my great grandfather was adopted so his real surname was not Hunter. He was in the Civil Warf and fought here in Marietta, the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain.. He was wounded, shot in the knee. He recuperated in a private residence in nearby Woodstock. After the war, back home in Franklin, North Carolina, he and his uncle Van Trammell got in a political argument about the Civil War with a guy named Lambert. The argument got physical and Lambert lost his life. William and Van fled and was wanted for murder. William went to Texas and he thought about the Woodstock family that cared for him when he recuperated and how nice they and their neighbors were. So he and his young family moved to Woodstock, Ga. He changed his surname to Hunter. After much research I discovered William’s real surname is Hunter. His mother, Rebecca Trammell sued the Franklin’s town constable for bastardy. She won. The person sue sued was Jason Henderson Hunter. Se when William was on the run, he reverted to his real name which he never used before. The three LDS women did not know what to say to that. I think they rightfully figured they were wasting their time with me and asked did we know anybody that might want some spiritual guidance. I can’t say that I do.

No comments: