Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Visit to the Marietta Confederate Cemetery




Yesterday, as usual, I was running early. I got near my destination and had about an hour to kill. I have been wanting to drop by the Marietta Confederate Cemetery and take a picture of 10 Cent Bill Yopper’s Grave to add to that blog post; which is now in place.

I took some more pictures of the Confederate Cemetery to bring refresh memories. In grammar school every year on Confederate Memorial Day we white kids marched to the Confederate Cemetery with little Confederate Flags and stuck them in graves.

The Afro-American kids on Memorial Day marched to the Marietta National Cemetery and did the same with small American Flags.
Below are some pictures I took:

Note the first one below: Follow the walk down to West Atlanta Street and look about half way up at the new Cobb County Courthouse. It looks gigantic if you click on the picture.















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, I remember the marching with the little confederate flags they gave us. Real Memorial Day back then was known as "Yankee Memorial Day."

Mike D