Friday, August 20, 2010

Yesterday's Day in History, Groucho Marx's Death





Julius “Groucho” Marx (Oct 2, 1890 – Aug 19, 1977) died on yesterday’s date, August the 19th, 1977, at age 86.

Groucho was the ring leader of the comedy team “The Marx Brothers”. I used to love to watch them because their humor was anarchistically* funny. If somebody appeared to command respect the Marx Brothers gave him ridicule. They turned the most formal respected occasions into babbling snafus.

Groucho was known for his rapid-fire delivery of whimsical innuendos while walking off his nervous energy bent over and smoking his cigar.

In his later year he was the emcee of the quiz show YOU BET YOUR LIFE where he got to exercise his sharp quit wit. He is still quoted on one wise-crack he made to a couple that had many children, "I like my cigar too, but I know when to take it out."

*I made that word up.

2 comments:

Culture Served Raw said...

RIP Groucho. Nice tribute, and I like that word "anarchistically". I will do my part ;)

Eddie said...

Valerie,
Everytime I see a new post on your blog I like it more and more.