Thursday, August 05, 2010

Getting Rid of Dead Critters


Paul called to tell me had a dead cat to get rid of.

In his neighborhood one cat killed another cat. I don’t know if it was territorial dispute or a lovers’ triangle kind of thing, or some other type of domestic violence. If it is a territorial dispute I’m sure one cat knew the laws of nature and pissed a circle around a section of land he claimed then, legally it is his or her property. It will stand up in any Natural Claims Court in the world.. If it was a lovers’ triangle, well, that happens.

I’m not sure why it was Paul’s job to take care of deceased cat. He did not own it. His neighbor Ruth owned the dead cat. And another person owns the killer cat.

Paul said he hated to pick up dead animals. I let him know I felt for him, I did too, but I didn’t feel enough for him to pick up the dead cat for him.

But it did remind me that I own a carnivorous dog that kills for the fun of it. Which is odd, because she has such a sweet lovable name: Willow? I have picked up dead squirrels, rabbit, chipmunks and and one squirrels tail, evidently detached from a squirrel with a bloody stub. out of back yard.

My elderly neighbor several times has complained about Willow killing critters. He had a feeding plate on his driveway that he keeps it full of sunflower seed and cracked corn.

I don’t like it that Willow kills little critters. But that is her instinct. That is what the mindset Mother Nature installed in her brain. Not long ago, I saw Willow attack a poor little chipmunk trying to make a run for it. She grabbed it by the neck and snapped it’s spine and it was over. Then she walked away. She was already full from eating inside, but her need to hunt and kill is still there
However, with the old fellow constantly feeding the critters that are probably eating more than they should. They should be slim and trim to be able to outrun Willow.

Who is defying God’s law? The elderly gent with a heart of gold feeding his little friends more than they should eat or Willow who is using her instinct by hunting and killing?

Either way, like Paul, I have to get rid of the dead animals. I hate to pick up dead animals too. I usually pick it up using a plastic Walmart or Kroger bag as a glove, then turn the bag inside out. Then I put several plastic bags over it until it is fairly well wrapped up.

Then, to dispose of the little lifeless bundle I get creative.

Paul called me later and reported that he used pliers to pick it up then wrapped it up in a plastic bag. I asked him what was he going to do with it next.

He said he was going to take it to Animal Control.

“Oh”, I thought to myself, “He going to do the right thing. Bless his heart.”

5 comments:

ashlee said...

Ruth asked me to help her with the dead cat. I knew that I ABSOLUTELY could not pick up a dead animal. So what did I do? Naturally, I called the first person I always call when I need help - dad. My dad is the best!! ;)

Ashlee Roper

Eddie said...

Ashlee,

That is what dads are for.

Eddie said...

PR, I unintentionally fabricate stories all the time.
When you told me it was Ruth's cat I immediately thought of your neighbor, who I know is an animal lover.
All I can say is, "Ooops! Wrong again!"

PR said...

ASH,
SSSSHHHHH!!!!!!!
PR

PR said...

ROCK,
IT IS STILL WORKING.
PR