Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Good Book! not THE GOOD BOOK, but good!


I wrote a review on the book UNDER THE LOVING CARE OF THE FATHERLY LEADER, NORTH KOREA AND THE KIM DYNASTY by my old classmate Brad Martin. The review is one of 23 reviews for AMAZON.COM. Now to get some more mileage out of it, here it is here too.
The truth be known, I doubt if I would have read the book if it wasn’t written by my old teenage friend. But again, I may have. I’m taking a more interest in Korea lately, since my son’s mother-in-law is Korean, being born and brought up in Seoul.

Regardless of why I read the book, what I said below I mean. It is a good read!

I thought UNDER THE LOVING CARE OF THE FATHERLY LEADER, NORTH KOREA AND THE KIM DYNASTY was an excellent book. It is a good size book and full of detailed facts, some which Bradley Martin observed and some from extensive research. It was very educational. The book also shows Martin's excellent wit.

The book tells all about how Kim Il-sung fought grew up and became a rebel fighter against the powers and how he became the power. He magically enhanced the masses to believe in him and his wisdom, which he became a deity to them. Not that he didn't have a little down to earth human in him also (psst! He preferred newly teened girls).

Then, along came his son Kim Jong-il who loved movies and even tried his hand in making a few. Kim Jong-il was a spoiled brat in his formative years and became an eccentric recluse, which I think goes with the job description as being leader of North Korea.

Another apparent duty of the highest office for father and son is to trust no one. If someone disagrees with you or to tell the heavenly leader facts he doesn’t want to the best thing to do for that person is to have him reeducated and inspired at a center specially designed for such education. Many people have defected to avoid being reeducated.... it must be a "tough-love" type of education.

I really enjoyed the book. I feel I know a little more about Korea as a whole.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Sounds interesting, Eddie.

Reuben said...

For some strange reason, this book is not available in the Pacific or Asia for purchase via Amazon.com. Wonder why.

bkennesaw42 said...

Here it is. Buy one, buy two, buy a dozen?
Brad

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Loving-Care-Fatherly-Leader/dp/0312323220/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282134608&sr=8-2

Reuben said...

Sorry, I should have said not available for downloads in the Pacific or Asia from Amazon.com for use on a Kendle. It is available for download in the U.S.