Thursday, December 03, 2009

Tarzan's New Yell: OOoo La La!


From all the Tarzan movies I saw in my youth I thought the jungles of Africa were populated with black people, with the exception of Tarzan, Jane, Jungle Jim and his entourage, of course.

I was wrong.

In the jungles there were many white women in very good physical shape wearing scantily clad leopard or tiger skins* doing heroic things like saving the world. I think those scantily clad clothes pretty much guaranteed a young male audience.

Thanks to my long time friend Pappy and his Golden Age Comics and fellow southerner Chuck Wells’ Comicbook Catacombs. They recently have been running illustrated posts on these “Wild Thangs”.

To enjoy click on:

Pappy's Golden Age Comics.

and/or

Comicbook Catacombs.

*I don’t think animal skins would be politically correct today. May I suggest a grass-skirt, topless?

2 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

Brother, you don't know the half of it!

Jungle girls, princesses, queens and jungle lords, boys, etc.; were a huge part of the comic book landscape, particularly during the 1950's when most superheroes had already fallen by the wayside in the four-color world.

I've gotta tell you, if I had my choice between hanging out with caped crusaders or crashing with animal-skin-clad cuties - I would go with the jungle gals anytime.

Thanks for the mention!

Eddie said...

Chuck,

With all those Goddesses swinging in trees and kicking (with those long legs) sense into the mean people's heads who had time for work?

You put a lot of thought into your blog and it shows.