Friday, December 04, 2009

Chili Dogs, Nature's Own Man Made Health Food


Yesterday I had a stress test.

The last time I had one, about two years ago, the gizmos found I had a blockage and the doctor ran a probe through my groin to check it out. The probem was in the area of a stint that was put in a few years ago. Evidently, the stint collapsed.

After it was all over the doctor explained to me that my cardio system performed its own bypass. It actually weaved a series of blood vessels that leaped over the blockage and landed on the other side so the blood could continue its journey.

When I went to the Mississippi River Museum on Mudd Island in Memphis I saw a film that proved rivers performs their own bypasses all the time. This is just another case of natural taking its own course.

The doctor said there was nothing for him to do, and added, “Its nice doing business with you.”

I was half-way afraid the stress test on the treadmill, with about a dozen electronic hookups to my chest would find another blockage. But it didn’t!

I had a follow-up with the doctor about 30 minutes later he said everything was fine with good reports. My good numbers had increased and my bad numbers have decreased. And not only that but I lost some weight since my last visit last June. He said, “Whatever you are doing, keep it up!”

I fasted since the evening before. Somehow, I felt it wasn’t really necessary. I asked the doctor was it really necessary that I fasted. He said, “No, that would only be for Nuclear Stress Tests…. You hungry?”

Yes!

The doctor said to keep up whatever I was doing – right? I followed his instructions. I drove directly to Brandi’s World Famous Hotdogs and for brunch I had two delicious chili slaw dogs.

I sat at the counter beside a guy that was reading and had three chili-cheese dogs in front of him on a paper towel. He was reading a newspaper. I thought his dogs were getting cold – put who am I to pry? He knew what he wanted: read, eat hotdogs, and ignore the person sitting next to him.

Interesting, while eating I noticed a big cabinet or stove or something in the rear of the store. On top were some personal belongings, such as pocketbooks, etc. And also, there with the personal belongings was a Styrofoam Chic-Fi-a cup. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it just looked out of place in a spicy hotdog eatery.

The spicy chili dogs are always delicious but this time they out did themselves. In an earlier post I had mentioned people discussing which is the best day for the chili at Brandi’s, as far as being spicy goes, Monday or Friday. Yesterday was Thursday, and it was the best yet.

The heat in my throat stayed with me driving up Canton Road for the next ten or fifteen minutes. It was a good heat that made you feel all arm inside.

However, about 30 minutes later, I burped a terrible acidic taste came up. It definitely had the chili favor to it. Yyyeeeccchhhhh!

Then just before I went to bed last night, again, I burped and the same acidic taste gurgled up. For a moment I blamed the hotdogs then I remembered for dinner we had meatballs, left over from a club luncheon Anna went to that day.

Good I would hate to see two innocent hotdogs get a bum-rap.

No comments: