Thursday, June 26, 2008

Noonday Baptist Church Cemetery, Marietta, Ga



I thought I had already done a post on Noonday Baptist Church Cemetery, just north of Marietta. But this past weekend I tried to look it up to link for a fellow family researcher and it was not there.

Boy, do I need a system.

My wife Anna grew up in Noonday Baptist Church, and so did her father, and so did his father. Some of the people buried in their graveyard are her relatives and some others were relatives and friends of mine, or children of friends.

At the top is Carol Joe Clayton – I have mentioned him several times. He was the one that had a wreck on one of the two covered bridges in Cobb County and was killed. We used to live next door to Carol Joe and his family. I was about a year old than Carol Joe.




Clyde and Ernest Clayton are Carol Joe’s parents. Cyde was the mother.







George Ann and Maggie Lance are descended from my g-g-g grandfather John Hunter.
The below is a description of the people buried in this plot by Louise a Hunter-Lance cousin, in her own words:
Maggie Lance that is buried with the baby Dorothy is Charles Wesley " Charlie" Lance's wife. He was married three times. She is Maggie Crane Lance. And George Ann is daughter to Samuel Riley and Rebecca Hunter. She is a twin to Josephine that died young. George Ann and Louisa mostly raised Charlie Lance after his mother, Tennessee, died during his birth in 1890.





The above are Anna’s progenitors.



Anna’s brother James.



Although one of Anna’s late brother is named Julian, this Julian is her cousin. He drowned in the Atlantic Ocean at Tybee Island.





Some more of Anna’s relatives.



The Wilkes children were killed because of a car wreck. Two died instantly and the oldest daughter died the next morning. Their father John “Joe” was a deaf co-worker of mine. Joe thought the world of his kids. Nothing was sadder than watching him pick up their toys in his backyard after the tragedy.

5 comments:

kenju said...

I have never met anyone with the last name Prance. It is an interesting name. I wonder what the derivation is?


Thanks for the visit Eddie - and thanks for the comments - I'd NEVER have know what I was looking at if not for you! LOL

Eddie said...

Judy,
Visiting your blog is always a pleasure.

I suppose only proud people and horses Prance.

As far as I know, Anna's Prances, originally came from England.

kd said...

my family also were original members of Noonday. Durhams. Jeanne Durham was my Grandmother and the name Prance is very familiar. I should know them. This would have been mid 60's thru early 70's.

kd said...

my family also were original members of Noonday. Durhams. Jeanne Durham was my Grandmother and the name Prance is very familiar. I should know them. This would have been mid 60's thru early 70's.

Eddie said...

KD,

My wife, who's maiden name is Prance, tells me that Jeanne Durham was her first grade teacher at Blackwell Elementary.