Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tim Russert (1950-2008)


Tim Russert has died of a heart-attack.

We didn’t watch Meet the Press very much but I enjoyed watching him talk on The Today Show and other NBC political coverages. He seemed to have endless information on politicians filed right at the top of his head and the ability to recall it instantly.

He very often quoted what a politician said, maybe something like three months ago and compared the conflicting quote the politician said as recently as yesterday.

He seemed very impartial and unbiased. Politicians who called themselves non-partisan should study Tim’s technique.

I think his death might very well change the presidential race some. I think Tim Russert kept them honest, because he would call them on their blunders and under-the-table deals. Now, who is going to replace him?

4 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

Who's going to replace him...

Good question, Eddie.

I didn't watch Meet the Press that much, so I don't really have an opinion on Tim Russert. But on the media as a whole - very biased and determined to lead (or nudge) the public according to prefered party. You can read my comment about this in the comment section on my blog here here.

Eddie said...

Deborah,

To me, Fox News is terribly biased.

Deborah Wilson said...

Yes, Fox News is very biased. Yet, I like judicial analyst, Judge Andrew Napolitano, because he is a staunce defender of the constitution and not afraid to say what he feels is the truth.

In the past, CNN has always been my cable news source of choice - however they are now so *politically correct* it's nauseating. CNN no longer has a back bone. To their credit, they did have the best primary coverage.

MDJ - through the years, I watched them go from ultra conservative to now treading the line between conservative to moderate. Right now, they are doing good reporting. But if they cross the threshold and become *politically correct* I'm going to stop reading.

AJC - I skip, except on Sunday's for the coupons.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
hey! That is the main reason we get the AJC on Sunday is for the coupons. That is the only day of the week of the AJC we get is Sunday. We like to buy it at a store on Saturday and read it Saturday evening... or I read the TV part, Living, and the front page headlines. Anna reads it all but the want ads and sports section.,, and has her scissors beside her for the coupons.
Of course the MDJ publisher Otis Brumby is a big time Republican - but the paper seems mostly fair but sometimes it just can't help itself, and neither can I.
CNN is our immediate source - if something big is suddenly happening we jump to CNN to see the news firsthand - or that is what we try to do - sometimes the newsy item is not there, iike we had hope.