Thursday, May 11, 2006

Chit Chat

I just thought I would chat a while.

My oldest son flies to Richmond this afternoon and returns late tomorrow. He is putting his dog in a vacation-kennel and our assignment is to pick her up tomorrow before 6pm when they close. Do you think we can handle it?

Tuesday while running on a street close by I took a tumble. Well, actually, it wasn't a tumble. It was more like "opps!" Two cars from different directions were going by even with me at the same time. That meant the car closest to me could not lean over in the next lane. And there was no sidewalk, only a steep bank, which I immediately went down. I wasn't expecting this sudden downward terrain, so didn't brace myself. So, I have not been able to run Wednesday or Thursday. I have just been hobbling around. But I feel better than I did yesterday, and hopefully, I will feel better tomorrow than I do now, and probably in no time it will only hurt when I laugh.

Are you ready for Mother's Day? By ready, for some it will mean buying a card or maybe flowers, or maybe a gift. If the mother has departed, then, it is a good time to honor them. We, just like birthdays, use Mother's Day and Father's Day as good excuse to try out restaurants. We will be eating Mother Day's dinner at a new Italian restaurants, that I think is locally owned.

I called my sisters yesterday and invited them to the Mother Day's dinner and my oldest sister told me lately she has been making a habit of one day a week going to the Dairy Queen and buying herself an order of onion rings and then a small sundae. She belongs to Weight Watchers and is losing weight, so, I can't criticize. She wss telling me yesterday when she went in the D.Q. last, somebody behind the counter said, "Hi Grandma!" Apparently, she looked surprised, so the person waited on her said they developed a nickname for her, because she routinely comes in and orders the exact items, so now when she comes in the door, somebody will say, "Here comes Grandma, we got the onion rings ready?" My sister said she didn't know she should feel complemented she is getting noticed, or mad because they identify her with the "grandma" look.

My sister is 67 years old and was a vice president of the bank and after she retired there became head of the finance department of a local college and I think always considered herself an aggressive looking sharp eyed single business woman? Grandma?

But it is nice to get some unexpected attention sometimes.

Yesterday, my youngest son called me and said he went to the bookstore I recommended him to buy a book for Anna for Mother's Day. Anna loves books by local authors and I knew this certain bookstore would have the latest book by a writer she likes. When he was writing a check the owner, a lady by the name of Cathy, saw his last name and asked if he was related to Eddie Hunter. He said, yes, that was his dad. She said for him to tell me to get myself in there, she missed our talks.

He called and told me. That little bit of favorable attention made me feel good too. When I first retired, I started visiting Cathy's bookstore often and we ended up in some long talking sessions. She is from Illinois and she enjoyed me telling her about local stuff and local concerts and things. I haven't visited her in over a couple of months, so it is nice to know I was missed. I'll drop to see her.

12 comments:

kenju said...

It is lovely to be noticed and missed, isn't it? I had a friend who was insulted when fast-food clerks wanted to give her the senior descount and she was only 50, but she had white hair. I told her if someone was going to give me a discount because I looked old - I'd take the discount - to heck with how I got it....LOL

Eddie said...

Judy,
I agree, all those senior discounts all add up.

Anonymous said...

eddie-

I cant stay on long as Bird is expecting a phone call. I loved this post! I am going to come back on later tonight or in the morning.

Wanted you to see this picture of my Daddy

http://theaginghipster.blogspot.com/2006/05/dad-was-mason.html

Talk at you later....

Eddie said...

Steve,
I checked your blog at 710 and the picture is not up yet.
I'll look again in a little while, maybe during "My Name Is Earl" commercia.

Unknown said...

I gained weight on Weight Watchers...

Unknown said...

By the way, I just gotta know... Why "Chicken Fat"?

Eddie said...

Bird,
So far I lost 40 pounds of WWs. But as of two weeks ago we quit going. I suppose we are taking a breather.
Chicken fat is a pet word artist Bill Elder, of MAD comic book, who I mildly worship, used. In most of his illustrated stories somehow Chicen fat would come into play. Somebody would put it on the door knobs as a prank or something like that.

Anonymous said...

Try it again, Eddie. I loved the idea of just starting a conversation in your post. One thing about getting hurt and not being able to work out is it really puts a damper on every thing you do, including your mood.

Eddie said...

Yeah,
My laziness snowballs.

Unknown said...

You are right about that, Steve. I get depressed when I can't work out at least a little bit.

I think WW is a good thing, it just didn't work for me. I think what WW offered I found on my own: information about what and how much to eat and the support along the way. Fortunately for me, Steve is my live-in support team and head cheerleader.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the 40 lbs, by the way... That's a major achievement!

Eddie said...

We chose Froday mornings to go to WWs. Friday mornings was my inspirational day. I would bat and even shave. At meetings I was the only male in their.
Sitting in on meetings hearing other's peoples recipes and problems helped, But we got stagnant. We knew what to do, but it seemed such a bother.
It was time for a break.