Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Wheeling and Dealing Jake

Yesterday we had a late lunch, around 3 pm, at a bar and grill. I noticed all the customers at that time were elderly. I doubt if any customer there was under 70. I noticed this before. I also noticed it is not as crowded and loud. Late lunches at a bar and grill are nice. Next to our booth was six elderly women. They talked about many local subjects, one was the historical house at the corner of Bells Ferry Road and Barrett Parkway. The house is officially a house of history. It housed a general during the Civil War. There is a company who wans to buy it and tear it down and replace it with a car wash. They disapproved. So do I. I would have told them I agree, then they would think I was eavesdropping. They also wondered who owned that house. One of the ladies said something like “Mr. Medford, but he died years ago. I wanted to jump in and said, “Jake Medford, he is a distant cousin of mine, on the Tyson Huey side.” But I didn’t. I also wanted to say when my daddy was chief of police, the Klan burned a cross in his yard. But I kept my mouth shut. I remember not too long beforee Jake died he said he would sell his back yard for not less than a million dollars. The next step after you leave his yard is the Town Center Shopping area. I thought about us teenagers at the time said in Jake Medford’s store he had very strict age requirements for selling beer¨ You had to be big enough to slide your money across the counter.”

No comments: