Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Panic on Canton Road 44 Years Ago.

Today we found ourselves waiting outside of a shop on 3015 Canton Road. The sign on the door said the owner would be back in 20 minutes. It was more closer to double that. As we sat on the outside bench I thought about the time in 1979 this building was in the news, in a deadly kind of way. Then, in 1979, a dentist’s office was in this building. A deputy brought a prisoner to this dentist for some dental work. I forgot the details, after all, it has been 44 years ago. I remember the bottom line, the prisoner escaped. I don’t remember if anyone was killed or not. I was terrified when I heard it on the news. I was terrified because Anna was out that evening almost in the same neighborhood. She was at Noonday Church on Canton Road attending a childbirth class. She was pregnant with our youngest son Adam. Police, deputies, and state patrolmen was checking out everything that moved on Canton Road that night.. The following morning the escapee was caught hiding in either a shoe shop or KFC dumpster around back, and directly across the street from where he escaped. All’s well that ends well. (except for the prisoner).

No comments: