Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Surprised Ending at Wesr Point

Movie, THE PALE BLUE EYE. The movie takes place at West Point Military Academy in the mid 1830s. The way I figure the time was that Edgar Allen Pole is a cadet there, probably in his 20s. Allen died in 1848. I have been to West Point in upstate New York at least three times when I was stationed in New Jersey. A route to my uncle’s home in Carmel, NY, was to drive north through or around NYC, hit a freeway and go north until you reach West Point at Bear Mountain State Park, then turn to go east. In The movie apparently a serial killer is slipping around killing cadets and cutting out organs out of the victims’ stomach, except the one that was castrated. The school called for an educated scholarly woodsman to solve the mystery. Everything seemed so darn gloomy and Edgar Poe too. It reminded me of a serious British who-done it?. By the way, I could not figure our Poe’s role. I knew he was a cadet there. Sometimes he was dressed in uniform and sometimes, when he dined with West Point’s leaders, he dressed like a civilian. He seemed to always be in a gloomy mood, even pissed off. He really was a cadet at West Point. I was hopping to hear his rendition of THE RAVEN or ANNBALE LEE but didn’t. I leaned THE RAVEN from a MAD Comic that took it on to satirized and had to memorized ANNEBEL LEE for high school English,…..”I was a child, she was a child, my Annabella Lee…cha cha” The movie has a surprised ending.

No comments: