Tuesday, February 14, 2023

History & Kin in Them Thar Hills

Postal stuff: Yesterday at the UPS Store I saw a postal employee with a Postal vehicle backed up dealing with parcels. Considering where the store was, she had to be working out of the same Postal facility I retired at (Sprayberry). I told her I retired from the Postal Service at Sprayberry in 2000. She said she came to work there in 1998. She did not remember me. Actually, I retired the first day of 2000, which was January the 1st, which was a holiday, so I was off on my last holiday. But, we still had two years together in the same building and we still didn’t know each other. I know I was invisible, but I suppose she was too. Also, speaking of Postal stuff: I am reading and looking at the pictures of an Arcadia Press book about UNION COUNTY, GEORGIA edited by the Union County Historical Society. I have several ancestors from of different linages to live in Union County. One interesting article I read yesterday tells Postal Carrier Marvin Akins who delivered mail from Blairsville to Blueridge in 1913. His route required him to spend the night in Blueridge, which he did most of the time. “One time in particular he chose to stay overnight in Blueridge in order to see a public hanging at the railroad depot the following morning.” Why am I not surprised?

No comments: