Saturday, February 04, 2023

Digging Up Dirt on Ancestors

We just ordered a small Dyson Vacuum Cleaner. Every time I hear the word Dyson I think of my ancestor. I won’t mention her name here. On the 1850 Census she is living with her husband Solomon Dyson in Union County, Georgia, with several kids. Also on that census, nearby was a family with several children, one single male was in his early 20s. Censuses are taken every ten years. On the 1860 Census in Union County Solomon Dyson’s wife was not the same female the was on the 1850 census. And close by the young man, who would have ten years older was not listed either. In the country east, Murray County the young man, that is missing on the census with his parents is now head of the household and his wife is the same name as Solomon’s wife on the 1850 Union County, Census., only ten years older. Apparently, she and her neighbor’s boy ran away together. They are my great great grandparents. A few of my years after that I heard how good Dyson Vacuum Cleaners are, and wondered if Solomon Dyson’s kids’ kids started the company and whatever happened to Solomon. Again, back to the Censuses. On the 1870 Census I found Solomon Dyson and wife and kids living in Indiana.

No comments: