Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Tempting is the Word

Firsr of all, I would like to tell you of a book I read by Vance Packard named HIDDEN PERSUADERS back in the 1950s. It is about ad-men who know more about you than you know yourself. They have figured out which asise in a supermarket you are most likely by what. They know what eye level temps females and so on. At Kroger's today in one aisle I went in about midways stood a frail little lady looking helplessly up at the top shelf. I figured right that something was on that top shelf she wanted. I asked her could I help her get something down. "Yes" she said, "That sack of Werthers." The size bag she wanted was in back of the shelf. I stood on my tiptoes and could barely reach the top of the sack. with my finger tips I tilted the sack over thus making it stick on more an inch or two more so I could reach it and rake it towards me. Opps! I raked two Werthers sacks instead of one to me. I handed her one and was about to put the second one on the next shelf down. She said she wanted that one too. OK. The elderly love Weathers. My late mother-in-law loved them, and many times while at her house I took I would help myself to a couple of her Werthers and acquired a taste for them too. I'm in my mid 70's. I qualify! Recently I heard a comedian make a crack about the elderly and their Werthers Candy. So, why would Krogers put their Werthers Candy merchandise on the unreachable top shelf?

No comments: