Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Take a Number

Yesterday, I went into a sweet shop knowing exactly what I wanted. There was a lady standing back studying what was on display behind the glass. The young lady behind the counter asked me could she help me. I was about to tell her when the lady standing studying the displays interrupted me and said to the young lady, “Why are you waiting on him when I was here first?” I looked over at her for the first time. She was a black middle age lady. The young lady behind the counter was speechless. So was I. By her distance in front of the case I thought she was not yet decided. The customer strayed on the young clerk and asked her name, then started using her name and finally said she wanted to speak to her boss, which she went and got, but stayed back in the back. Another young lady came and waited on me while the irate customer filled the manager’s ears how rude and inconsiderate she felt she was being treated. This sweet shop is right in the middle of yuppyville where everybody smiles. I think she clerk and the manager was caught off guard. The manager kept talking about her team. I bet now on the bulletin board in the back room saying something to the effect, “Attention Team! Wait on people in order as they enter and keep smiling.” And a note to myself: If somebody was already there say, “He/she was here firsr.”

No comments: